Friday, December 11, 2009

Day One: Blogging, Me and Soup

So, last night I watched Julie & Julia and thought, now that's what I'd like to write about...how much I love food.  I love to cook it, I love to eat it, I love to read about it, I love to eat it at restaurants, I love it.  I mean truly LOVE it.  So here I am, since I'm sitting at home today babysitting my chow chow puppy who got fixed yesterday...poor little girl.  Why not?  If no one reads it or finds it interesting, that's ok, it's for me mostly and anyone else who LOVES FOOD.  Thinking I'm going to try out some of my hundreds of recipe clippings that I haven't made yet and recipes from the many cookbooks I have, post the recipes and results here.  Think I'll talk about some favorite restaurants too.  And I'll probably rant a little here and there....gotta get it out somehow, right?

So while I"m here babysitting today, I decided to make a pot of hot soup.  It's a cold day in the 'burgh...like 24 degrees.  Ouch.  This morning I made Mushroom Barley Soup.  It's my own creation from pieces taken of other recipes.  I love it and make it often in winter...it's good soup.  I like it a little hearty..if you don't like your soup so thick, reduce the barley to 1/3 cup.  YUM.

Mushroom Barley Soup

2 tablespoons oil, divided
1 tablespoon butter
4 ounces white button mushrooms
4 ounces baby portabella mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 carrot, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
2 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup barley (not quick cooking)
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper

Slice or quarter mushrooms into about 1 inch pieces.

Heat 1 T. oil and butter in soup pot over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and saute until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, saute for 30 seconds and remove from heat to a bowl and reserve.

Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in same pot over medium high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and saute until softened, about 3 minutes.

Add broth, water and barley. Heat to a low boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes.

Add mushrooms and worcestershire sauce, and simmer partially covered (with the lid slightly off) 20 minutes more.

Adjust seasoning if necessary. If you are using full sodium broth you may not need salt.

Serve hot with good bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment